Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

PRSL
January 25, 2005 08:29PM
Even on a Class Act RR, not just picking on C&TS but will get back there next.
Several years ago I was riding the tourist train with Shay #12 (or 14?) backing, coupled to the upper end of the train. I was in the open car directly behind the locomotive tender. As we were backing down to go under the Devils Gate Trestle, the fireman stoked the fire with the very long stoking iron and then laid it back on top of the tender with the handle over the back of the tender.
As the Conductor was taking tickets, I suggested the if the train went into emergency as it was backing up at that location, the stoking iron would project right into the car load of passenger. I got an immediate response-“Good Call! I will correct that!” he replied. I didn’t think more of what I had said but 3 minutes later after he finished the ticket collection, while moving back up hill, the train went into a jarring emergency stop. The conductor stopped it and immediately went forward and told the fireman to secure and fasten the stoking iron. The passengers asked me “did I do that”? I replied that was not my method of stopping the engine. (He could have hollered over the tender to get attention and then give a hand signal, or fix it on future trips.)
At the end of the trip at Silver Plume I was thanked for the advice and asked if I was FRA. I replied no, I only answered to ICC in my job. But I then informed the Conductor that he should have had another communication or understood method to stop the train without pulling the emergency valve. A whistle or hand signals could have done the job. The FRA looks upon the emergency brake application as a bad occurrence and should be avoided at all cost. I also told the conductor that I observed that the engineer never turned his head around to check back over the train to see if it was derailed or why he went in emergency. He seemed surprised to see the Conductor climb in the cab.
Advice to all. Arrange ways to stop a train at any time without using the emergency valve, unless it is the only way. First try to apply the brakes with a conductor’s valve before dumping it. Always have all tool or items secure so they can never become projectiles. Thanks for reading.
Subject Author Posted

Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

PRSL January 25, 2005 08:29PM

Re: Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

Jeff A. January 25, 2005 09:50PM

Re: Professional Advice to former GLRR, Inc.

J.B.Bane January 26, 2005 02:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.