Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Kids and Trains

Mik
April 11, 2001 08:24PM
Unfortunately, there seems to be somewhat of a bias in the hobby against kids. They are often seen as a nuisance, they (when left unsupervised) fiddle with things, they (ditto) climb on the equipment, they ask awkward questions, they lack respect for our grizzled grey beards and greyer heads. They even have the gall to question how things are supposed to be done!
They are also the only future we have.
I suppose, though, that if a group feels that they have a surplus of money, volunteers and patrons, then they can probably continue to ignore the children, and their parents. Otherwise, we must soon face the sad fact that the days of selling simple nostalgia are rapidly coming to a close. Those people who remember daily mainline steam are simply NOT springy chickens anymore....The steam train experience is becoming rather more of a novelty, and we really must begin to plan and act accordingly.
Unfortunately, I can probably count on one hand the number of places (that I have been to) that have a REALLY good kid-friendly program in place. The focus of the information at many places is too often still aimed at the railfan, rather than the child, newbie or casually interested spectator.
Contrary to popular opinion. selling to kids does NOT mean "Disneyfication", you don't need mock indian raids, funny costumes, or crap like that. You need solid information, provided in a format that they can understand, AND relate to their own experiences. A simple but charming story of "real" kids going to gramma's house by riding on the train is a great beginning. An illustrated description of how a steam lokey works is another good one. A "hands on" model switching layout (with realistic problems, not those brain twisters that get published in the model press) can be fantastic, if you have someone to over see it. (A good idea for a display in the proposed C&TS museum, if it ever gets built). Even an enclosed N-scale roundy-round layout with a train that trundles along when a button is held down (especially if you have some scenes from your road modelled on it!) is much better than nothing.
Selling a "kid'z pak" with a coloring book, a small box of crayons, and a pinback button with the road's logo on it is just good business, (even if they aren't a big money maker in, and of, themselves). Especially if you have a rather long ride, or a rather long trip back to civilisation. Not only does it keep the little tricycle motors busy NOW (and their parents happy, and mebbe spending). It may well spark an interest that will grow LATER, like when they grow up, and have time, money, and/or kids of their own.
Okay I'll get off my soapbox, feel free to flame away!
Subject Author Posted

Re: Kids and Trains

Mik April 11, 2001 08:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.