Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sierra Valley Railroad

October 09, 2004 08:00AM
There were three versions of the "Sierra Valley" line, and each had its own equipment. The first effort was the Sierra Valley & Momawk Railroad. It has some equipment including flat cars and a 0-6-0 converted to narriw gauge at the V&T shops in Reno, Nev. All that equipment was dispursed about 1887 when the line went belly up, although there is that photo of a flat car on the Towle Bros. logging line.
The next incarnation started in the mid-1990's and was known as the Sierra Valleys Railway. That's the railroad that equipped itself with locos and rolling stock from the Oregonian rail line. Apparently, at lwast at first, the SVR equipment had a lower coupler height than the N-C-O, which precluded exchange of equipment.
In 1901 N-C-O management took over the Sierra Valley line but ooperated it as a separate company until 1915. I don'tknow when the N-C-O equipment replaced what was there in 1901, but I suspect it was early on. No reason to transfer freight at Plumas Junction if cars could run through.
Of course, the last version of rolling stock was that of the N-C-O. Probably any piece of rolling stock (at least freight and maintenance cars) could have been seen in Portola, Sierraville, etc.
I do not know of any existing equipment that preceeded the N-C-O's control of the Sierra Valley line. But who knows whatlies rotting away on some ranch in the Sierra Valley area. Any of that equipment would be over 100 years old by now. But who knows?
Most of this infomration comes from "Railroads of Nevada & Eastern California, Vol. I," by David Myrick. I don't know of anything available on line.
Tom Armstrong
Subject Author Posted

Sierra Valley Railroad

Eugene October 05, 2004 03:31PM

Eugene October 05, 2004 03:58PM

Brian Norden October 05, 2004 06:18PM

Brian Norden October 05, 2004 07:17PM

Re: Sierra Valley Railroad *LINK*

Randy Hees October 05, 2004 08:23PM

Andrew Brandon October 05, 2004 09:00PM

Eugene October 08, 2004 02:34PM

Tom Armstrong October 09, 2004 08:00AM

Re: Sierra Valley Railroad *LINK*

Randy Hees October 09, 2004 09:56AM

Tom Armstrong October 09, 2004 09:12PM

Dan Robirds October 12, 2004 05:25PM

Tom Armstrong October 19, 2004 06:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.