Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Long Loopy Weekend

September 29, 2004 12:17PM
Determined to have one last look after an absence of seven years, I brought along a buddy for a long weekend to GL last Saturday-Monday. We enjoyed riding, visiting with the crews and getting some great photos. The steam was in fine form and the aspens glowing with color, a bit of snow on the mountain tops nearby.
I don't have to preach to anyone about how great the GL is, so I'll share some highlights:
*Listening to 40, 9 cars in tow, fighting the grade with a sharp exhaust, doggone near as loud as some 4-8-4s out there!
*Watching many packed trains: 1,870 passengers on Saturday, we were told, and a few more on Sunday!
Seeing a lot of happy riders is a treat and I think those are record days for the Loop.
*Enjoying the parade of two trains on the loop simultaneously, whistles calling out, constantly making for a fine parade.
*Doing a little exploration at Hall Tunnell and finding tou that the High Fill isn't that far away from the siding's north switch--it's just staight up!
*Seeing the fine operating work the crews do. Yes, they can make 'em climb but by golly they also handle the air brakes nicely, a vitally important skill on a steep mountain railroad like this.
So, I'm both elated with the weekend and just saddened that this operation will come to a close in just a few days. It was truly magnificent, right to the end.
My thanks to all the fine operating people who were generous with their time and information. I hope we meet again! Jim
Subject Author Posted

A Long Loopy Weekend

jimwrinn September 29, 2004 12:17PM

Re: A Long Loopy Weekend

Jeff Badger September 29, 2004 04:03PM

Yep, them's real N.C. Krispie Kreme's!

jimwrinn September 29, 2004 04:10PM

Re: Yep, them's real N.C. Krispie Kreme's!

Andy J September 29, 2004 05:47PM

Re: Yep, them's real N.C. Krispie Kreme's!

Skip Luke September 29, 2004 11:02PM

Re: A Long Loopy Weekend

Skip Luke September 29, 2004 11:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.