Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Georgetown Loop redux .

September 14, 2004 10:05AM
I am going out on a limb here ,but not too far ! I might catch a little flak , maybe from both sides . Anyway , from here it looks like the CHS may have a plan to evolve the Loop line to a "C&S n.g. Heritage Park " . Strictly looking at it on face value , not a bad idea ,and maybe the total realization of the reconstruction of the Loop . What is dismaying is the abrupt and lacerating change in operators . I myself am very reluctant to place blame , partly because I do not know the entire story . In the best of all worlds any transition would have been negotiated to take place over a five-year period , plenty of time to do it smoothly . Instead the situation seemed driven by some agendas , and this rarely produces a positive outcome .
The most disturbing aspect is seeing one of the most stable preserved steam operations here in the West be thrown so abruptly into uncertainty . It makes me nervous that more fragile operations like the C&TS could face a similar fate if the politicians and others pull the rug out from that operation . Presently Governor Richardson has too much invested in Northern New Mexico politically to walk away from the C&TS ,and he has shown his strong support by actually showing up on the property this spring . Previous Governor Gary Johnson was at least passively supportive of the railroad . If that changes in the future , will we all be helpless to stop it ? Due to increased Federal scrutiny , spiralling costs and hard times all preserved operations are in jeapordy , and inevitably some will close soon .
I know Mr. Ashby and Mark Gretska are good businessmen and will operate other successful railroads . Their standards for taking over a property are high , and based on a strong projection of profitability , not pipe dreams , like way too many other steam preservation projects . They have turned down other offers because of profitability issues . I also wish the CHS well and hope the new operation will someday reach its full potential .
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown Loop redux .

El Coke September 14, 2004 10:05AM

Re: Georgetown Loop redux .

Les Clark September 14, 2004 06:23PM

Eric Dowty September 14, 2004 08:28PM

Douglas vV September 15, 2004 12:54AM

Eric Dowty September 15, 2004 05:49PM

Re: Georgetown Loop redux . *PIC*

Greg Scholl September 16, 2004 12:08PM

Douglas vV September 16, 2004 12:27PM

Erik Ledbetter September 16, 2004 12:45PM

Randy Buchter September 16, 2004 01:13PM

Tom Richards September 16, 2004 02:56PM

EBT....

Greg Scholl September 16, 2004 03:57PM

Re: stay away from me

Crayuft September 18, 2004 07:17AM

Re: stay away from me

Greg Scholl September 18, 2004 09:27AM

Frank Martindell September 15, 2004 11:30AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.