Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

491's Number Plate

August 18, 2000 08:16AM
Years ago, and I have mentioned this story here before, myself and several other members of the Boulder Model Railroad Club were working on the rusted hulk of steel that in life had been 491 at the Colorado Railroad Museum.
Like 464, almost all the vital parts had been either removed or stolen from the engine, including the number plate. This was not at all unusual in the 60's as it was pretty clear to everyone that the engines were probably all going to be scrapped. 491 was fitted with some parts from the Museums inventory, but we needed a number plate and decided we should make a temporary one out of wood and some half-round stock so it would look more finished as we got closer to completing the painting and lettering.
Member Todd Hackett made the fake plate from measurements taken from the 461's plate inside the Museum. He painted it up and applied correct numerals on the front.
About an hour after we started working on the 491 on the very day we were going to install the fake numberplate, a car drove up and a guy got out and started telling us what a great job we were doing on the engine and asked if we would like to have the numberplate, which he had acquired many years earlier. We looked at each other in amazement and said sure, the guy opened his trunk and produced the real McCoy! He was just as surprised to find we had already made a reproduction, and he drove away with it, where it probably still hangs in his basement where the real one used to be.
I've remembered this story on several occasions over the years, I wish everyone who "collects" these relics were as responsible as that nameless individual.
To all those who knowingly have stolen items in their possession, a Pox on their house. I hope their children and desendants for generations have buck teeth.
Mike
Subject Author Posted

464's Number Plate

Scott Bell August 17, 2000 10:43AM

Re: 464's Number Plate

Greg Scholl August 17, 2000 02:54PM

Marty Knox August 17, 2000 06:14PM

John Bush August 17, 2000 09:31PM

491's Number Plate

Mike Trent August 18, 2000 08:16AM

(Glad to see 464's plate wasn't stolen) *NM*

Mike Trent August 18, 2000 08:47AM

Re: 491's Number Plate

Richard Boulware August 18, 2000 01:54PM

Re: 464's Number Plate didn't sell

Frad T August 20, 2000 09:00PM

491's plate/Eureka Headlight

Steve Peck August 22, 2000 10:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.