Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power - Trans Andino vs Austria's Ore Mt. RR

March 21, 2024 11:13PM
Bob - thank you so much for posting the link to the 2 ft 6 in narrow gauge lines in the Balkans. There certainly was an amazing collection of different narrow gauge power besides the cog-and-adhesion locomotives, such as those engines with the Klose articulation. I may be biased, but I think the ALCO 2-8-2s were the nicest looking engines. I was a few years too late to see narrow gauge steam in action, not visiting Sarajevo, Mostar and Dubrovnik until 1978, by which time we were traveling on the standard gauge that replaced the much more interesting narrow gauge.

In the 1970s there was still much steam action on the Austrian 2 ft 6 in gauge lines at Gmuend, where the 0-8-0s certainly had a resemblance to the Bosnian engines. The Austrian engines were still busy hauling passenger trains, mixed trains, and pure freights. There was a substantial traffic of standard gauge cars hauled on narrow gauge transporters as well as well as lumber traffic on narrow gauge cars.

cna857 (2).jpg

cna858 (3).jpg

cna850 (2).jpg

cna852 (2).jpg

cna849 (2).jpg
Subject Author Posted

Big cog-and-adhesion steam power - Trans Andino vs Austria's Ore Mt. RR Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen March 17, 2024 09:44PM

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power . . . thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco March 19, 2024 06:37PM

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power . . . thumbs upthumbs up

davidtltc March 19, 2024 07:22PM

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power - Trans Andino vs Austria's Ore Mt. RR Attachments

C.P.Huntington March 19, 2024 07:25PM

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power - Trans Andino vs Austria's Ore Mt. RR

Bob Meckley March 20, 2024 06:51AM

Re: Big cog-and-adhesion steam power - Trans Andino vs Austria's Ore Mt. RR Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen March 21, 2024 11:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login