Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Durango, 1956 & 1957, Fritz Klinke photos

February 06, 2024 06:25AM avatar
These are Fritz Klinke photos, linked from Flickr. His captions are underneath each photo.

Durango D&RGW Yard Scenes
by Fritz Klinke, on Flickr
"Durango D&RGW Yard Scenes
July 7, 1956 and my first view of a live, operating narrow gauge steam engine, 464, from my hotel window at the Strater Hotel. Interesting that 55 years later that I had lunch at the Strater today and parked in the hotel's parking lot that occupies the site of the Rio Grande Motorway building shown here. In back of the 464 is the railroad's freight house, almost a full block long, that did not survive too much longer."

Durango, 1956
"Durango, 1956
My first visit to the narrow gauge. The Jordan ditcher OU was sitting in back of the Strater Hotel where I had a room for $4.50."

Durango D&RGW Yard Scenes
"Durango D&RGW Yard Scenes
The 464 under steam waiting for a call for switching duty, August 1957. The smelter across the river with its adjoining tailings pile was active at this point in time."

Durango, August 1957
"Durango, August 1957
View from the main line entering the Durango yard from the south. Cars on right were loaded with phone or power poles, loaded just like pipe trains with idler cars. Most switch stands on the main line had kerosene lighted lanterns at this point in time."

scan0030
"scan0030
Durango Coal Tower, 1957, Silverton wedge snowplow to left background."

scan0018
scan0018
"Durango, August 1957. The 464 simmers under steam waiting for the next call to do switching chores, the 495 and 494 are to the immediate right, both under steam, and the wedge plow for the Silverton line sits beyond the turntable pit."

A working railroad, 1957
"A working railroad, 1957
Refrigerator car 163. Beer was being unloaded from this car into the Basin Sales building in the background. This is now the parking lot between the Grande Palace building and the General Palmer Hotel."

Durango Coal Loading Dock, Federal Lumber
"Durango Coal Loading Dock, Federal Lumber
Coal loading dock in Durango 1957 accessed through what became Federal Lumber next to Animas River-now Albertson's parking lot. Lumber and building materials were unloaded from boxcars through several long sheds as shown. Looking north, Animas River to the left beyond the bushes."

- Graham

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2024 06:26AM by Rader Sidetrack.
Subject Author Posted

Durango, 1956 & 1957, Fritz Klinke photos

Rader Sidetrack February 06, 2024 06:25AM

Re: Durango, 1956 & 1957, Fritz Klinke photos

Loco Bill February 06, 2024 07:08AM

Re: Durango, 1956 & 1957, Fritz Klinke photos

Rader Sidetrack February 06, 2024 08:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login