Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Summer Railroad Internship - Doe River Gorge

December 04, 2023 08:37AM
Thanks to ET&WNC#15 for getting the word out about this opportunity. This is Mark Milbourne at Doe River. Per his original attachment, I can be contacted at mark@doerivergorge.com or 423 725 4010 ext 324. I don't monitor this forum regularly, but have clicked this topic to follow, so am assuming I'll get an email notification if there is further traffic. Feel free to ask any other general DRG questions and I'll attempt to answer. If you don't see a reply in a bit, feel free to poke me via email. Anything specific to the internship just go ahead and message/email directly.

Just to expand/clarify a few details from ET&WNC#15:
The ET&WNC #505 caboose is restored and also on display with the restored Linville depot, but both of these are actually in Newland NC at the county museum behind the courthouse there.

The new track currently in progress for the Christmas Train project in total nearly doubles the existing track. In addition to the main loop mentioned (1.3 mi) there will be about 0.4 mi extension from the loop to reach and connect with the existing track plus a wye into lead tracks to coach shed and engine house. So all the new track adds up to just over 2 miles. The coach shed is being established from structure that formerly housed a sawmill and the adjacent engine house will be new construction. Steel for that is already onsite and foundation work starting very soon.

In addition to the locos mentioned, there are two 4-car sets of enclosed coaches for the Christmas Train program and three open-sided cars for summer use. Two of the summer cars have already been in service for several seasons for scenic gorge trips with our 8-ton Plymouth.

There is a video about the project at https://www.doerivergorge.com/christmas-train/

Also keep an eye on the YouTube channel Above Ground Media. https://www.youtube.com/@aboveground5052/videos He's made 3 drone passes so far to follow the progress of the construction and intends to continue to fly periodically for additional updates.
Subject Author Posted

Summer Railroad Internship - Doe River Gorge Attachments

ET&WNC#15 December 01, 2023 08:40PM

The Train Tracker December 01, 2023 08:57PM

tgbcvr December 02, 2023 04:30PM

et&wnc December 02, 2023 06:57PM

John C December 02, 2023 09:41PM

tgbcvr December 03, 2023 03:52AM

ET&WNC#15 December 03, 2023 08:16PM

Mark Milbourne December 04, 2023 08:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login