Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alpine Tunnel Construction Camps

November 25, 2023 07:10AM
I was recently re-reading parts of Dow Helmer's Historic Alpine Tunnel book particularly about his discovery of the construction camp sites. Having fixated on the railroad's operating days I hadn't given the question of "How did they get all the construction material up to such a high-altitude remote location?" much thought. Consider hauling up all those redwood timbers? This would take a serious road and one that was not the right-of-way so as not to impede grading and track construction.

In my last visit to the east portal I noticed a sign a bit off the right-of-way pointing to one of the construction camps. I took a few photos which I have put on a blog post here. I wish I had re-read Helmer's discovery before visiting as I could have explored the area more.

There were two other construction camp sites. One is roughly on the opposite side of the valley known as Tunnel Gulch (not to be confused with the same name on the western side). The other is near the west portal on the hillside to the right of the right of way. Does anyone have any photos of these two sites?

Enjoy,
Kurt
construction camp.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Alpine Tunnel Construction Camps Attachments

Kurt Maechner November 25, 2023 07:10AM

Re: Alpine Tunnel Construction Camps

RDannemann November 30, 2023 03:00PM

Re: Alpine Tunnel ---- East side & The Countess Zabriskie

RDannemann January 25, 2024 08:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login