Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Looking for NG photos...(specific)

August 24, 2004 07:35PM
Sounds like you'll be getting the special treatment at Silverwood! That is right, the "Guide to Narrow Gauge Railroads" is a print publication. The website is a seperate entity. Originally when I started getting interested in particularly "grand scae" trains, I wrote a few articles for the Grand Scales Quarterly. Then somehow I then wrote some articles for Discover Live Steam and ended up getting my own column there. Though it in no way affects the Guide publication, its where I can promote it. In fact I already have 270 of the 400 pages revised from the last printing. I am going to, once all is revised, get this published. I've worked for 3 years on it so I hope the final product turns out well, and people like it. The photos are great and they can't be found elsewhere.
I'm going to try and dig up my photos of the BC Forest Museum in 2001 (Vulcan 0-4-0T) and Yosemite Mtn Sugar Pine in 1998 (WSL Shay 10) and then I should be in better shape or else I may have to look around for photos of these too! It's amazing how much stuff you lose track of with a cross-country move...
As for more information about my website and publication...here's the deal.
"The Guide to Narrow Gauge Railroads" is a photo/text guidebook to more than 300 narrow gauge passenger hauling railroads across the globe. They range from, the smallest (a 9-7/16" gauge line in Phillipsburg, NJ...small gauge but the equipment is robust and very famous) to 42" gauge (various places...South Africa, New Zealand, and good old-Old Poway Park in California). The guidebook devotes one page to each railway, where the best out of the submitted pictures is displayed. The guidebook lists a description (which I write, and try to make sound enticing), a motive power list, operating schedule and fares, other interesting things, and contact information/web site/etc.
The web site, ON TRACK with Ed Kelley, has been online since August 2002 and is a monthly column of railroad articles made possible by Jim O'Connor's DiscoverLiveSteam.com site, primarially steam narrow gauge and a little side interest of mine, amusement park trains. We are in the process of redeveloping the site right now. I'd certainly offer to do an article in Silverwood if they're interested to get even more publicity. We have had over 5,000 visitors (though our lovely counter isn't working, when it did we had around 5,400 visitors). Certainly not the kind of visitors you get to this site or Trainorders, but we're trying. We've gotten positive feedback from everybody, so the site keeps on.
On a side note, I am also working on other railroad projects such as DVDs of narrow gauge amusement park steam and eventually computer graphic railroad art items (t-shirts, hats, mousepads, jackets, etc using my drawings). It's going to happen...sometime. I still have lots of locomotives to draw, as I probably have around 30 designs so far. I started this 5 years ago on MS paint (yikes, but it worked...) and then grew into Illustrator and Freehand.
Thanks Again,
Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

Looking for NG photos...(specific)

Ed Kelley August 24, 2004 04:20PM

South Park August 24, 2004 05:18PM

Re: Looking for NG photos...(specific) *LINK*

Tim S August 24, 2004 05:24PM

Ed Kelley August 24, 2004 06:08PM

South Park August 24, 2004 06:18PM

Ed Kelley August 24, 2004 06:29PM

South Park August 24, 2004 06:41PM

Ed Kelley August 24, 2004 07:35PM

J.B.Bane August 24, 2004 08:06PM

Kevin Bush August 24, 2004 08:19PM

Wooly August 24, 2004 08:53PM

Ed Kelley August 24, 2004 10:45PM

Kevin Bush August 25, 2004 06:33AM

Kevin Bush August 25, 2004 06:30AM

Wooly August 25, 2004 07:37AM

WP&Ymike August 25, 2004 10:17AM

Ed Kelley August 25, 2004 12:15PM

Paul Hagglund August 25, 2004 05:45PM

Wooly August 25, 2004 05:55PM

Re: Looking for NG photos...(specific) *LINK* *PIC*

WP&Ymike August 25, 2004 09:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.