Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Railfest 2004

August 22, 2004 01:04AM
The railroad had the dedication of the Needleton water tank Friday morning. I rode down from Silverton with Johnnie Martinez on his motor car rather than riding the train up from Durango. Johnnie had problems with the spark plug and we changed it twice, finally using gravity to reach Needleton tank. We had to pass by a section crew replacing ties between Silverton and Elk Park, and that work goes on even with all the Railfest activity. Riding with Johnnie involves some work, as 4 times Friday I was the counter weight on the opposite end of the car while he turned it, and since his radiator cap leaks, foot placement on what little there is to stand on is critical--I didn't know that the first time I helped him last year.
What greeted me at the tank was a yellow ribbon wrapped around the tank, a table with champagne, assorted food, real chairs, a p.a. system and three railroad employees who had set this all up. The dedication entourage of about 40 people arrived about 20 minutes later on board the first train, and then we had a brief dedication ceremony with V.P./General Manager Paul Schranck presiding. I spoke on our involvement with the tank's restoration and a little about the history of the tank and how a group of dedicated D&RGW employees in 1977 blew the whistle on Denver's plan to destroy the tank. A key culprit in that activity was sitting in the front row, and much to his surprise, Johnnie was asked to cut the yellow ribbon dedicating the restoration of the tank. I think it very fitting that someone who has been working on the narrow gauge since 1963, and knows that railroad so well and has dedicated his working life to keeping it going was selected for this honor.
Also present was owner Al Harper and V.P. Jeff Jackson, who through casual conversations with me starting 3 years ago led us to do this work. Denny Begerow's tank finial/ball was restored and put back on the tank, and his act of preservation was acknowledged. The whole group then caught the second train that was double headed, and it was quite a sight to see this being on the ground at the tank as the engines charged past. The whole affair was handled quite nicely. It is also a tribute to the State Historical Fund for funding 1/2 of the cost, and the D&SNG's willing participation to save an important historic structure at considerable cost to them in tight financial times.
As a side note, despite the festivities, Johnnie continued to work first using a shovel he has stashed at the newer steel tank to spread sand on the rails for the engines to gain a footing after taking on water, and then operating a gas powered pump at the river's edge to pump additional water into the tank for the second train, and especially because of the double header.
Subject Author Posted

Railfest 2004

Ted Yarbrough August 20, 2004 08:24AM

Re: photos from Erik Nelson

John Craft August 20, 2004 03:35PM

Ted Yarbrough August 21, 2004 09:21AM

Chris Webster August 21, 2004 10:02PM

Fritz Klinke August 22, 2004 01:04AM

Philip Walters August 23, 2004 11:19PM

Re: Railfest 2004 *LINK*

Philip Walters August 25, 2004 02:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.