Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Letter to the editor...

August 11, 2004 08:53PM
I sent the following to the Rocky Mountain News:
On October 3, a 30+ year era will end at the Georgetown Loop. The current operator, prevented from continuing its fine record of operation by the irresponsible actions of the Colorado Historical Society (CHS) and Historic Georgetown, Inc. (HGI), will pack up its locomotives, passenger and freight cars, shop equipment, track equipment and employees and leave Clear Creek County.
The Colorado Historical Society claims it will find a reputable operator for the 2005 season and beyond. In fact, the process of finding a new operator is so flawed that it is highly likely that no qualified operator has even applied for the contract. The bumbling actions of the CHS and HGI will cause severe damage to the economy of Clear Creek County.
What could happen is that someone with inadequate funding and no experience operating a steam-powered narrow gauge mountain railroad will attempt to open the 2005 season with volunteer, untrained staff running patched together locomotives and cars. The risk of accidents and injuries is high. I for one will not risk my family’s safety on such an operation. It is certain that priceless, irreplaceable artifacts of Colorado’s railroad heritage will be damaged and destroyed.
Before the Colorado Historical Society and Historic Georgetown Inc. damage a Colorado treasure beyond repair, their motives should be investigated and a neutral party brought in to arbitrate the renewal of the contract with the current operator. The public trust deserves no less.
Subject Author Posted

The Fat Lady is in the House

Rod Jensen August 09, 2004 10:02PM

Re: The Fat Lady is in the House

Tim Schreiner August 09, 2004 11:06PM

Letter to the editor...

Scott Hightower August 11, 2004 08:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.