Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Fat Lady is in the House

August 09, 2004 10:02PM
If you really want to do something to try and save the GL RR as we know and love it I suggest you need to take some action immediately. Call, write or visit the CHS and the RFP review panel, your elected representative, the Governor, the media, etc. etc.
Time is of the essence and your concerns, input and voice need to be heard right now! Take a moment and express your opinion to the CHS and any one else who will listen. The Fat Lady is in the house but she hasn't sung quite yet... Here is what I sent today:
Monday August 9, 2004
Georgianna Contiguglia, President
Colorado Historical Society
1330 Broadway
Denver, CO 80203
Dear Ms. Contiguglia:
I am writing to you as a concerned member of the community regarding the CHS handling of the Georgetown Loop RR. I am extremely saddened and dismayed that your organization has not been able to work out a contract solution with the current operator. Many of us who have followed and contributed to the development of the Georgetown Loop RR for the past 30 some years are frankly shocked that you would even consider bringing in a new operator given the success of this operation and the goodwill that has been built up not only for the RR and the CHS, but also Georgetown, Silver Plume and the state of Colorado as well.
It would appear from witness statements and your own CHS reports that your employees, both Mr. Lee Behrens and Mr. Joseph Bell have polarized the negotiation process and now are jeopardizing the goodwill and reputation of the CHS as an organization. I don’t have to tell you how important corporate sponsorships and community support are to future CHS endeavors given the fiscal constraints of the state budget. What has me doubly concerned is that these two individuals seem to be pushing their own agenda for a new operator or as Mr. Behrens alludes to in his report, the eventual takeover of the RR by the CHS. If this is indeed the goal for CHS then it needs to be reviewed by the community and state including a cost/ benefit analysis by a state auditor. Has any long range planning been done in this regard? Why are you undertaking the restoration of the Colorado & Southern #9 engine in fact when this cost could easily exceed ¾ million dollars and even if completed in 2 years will still be inadequate to pull the passenger loadings of the current Loop operation?
In speaking with Mark Greska today and from your own CHS Press Releases it would appear that the negotiations with GL RR broke down over several key elements one of which was the maintenance costs. I implore you to get directly involved in reopening negotiations with GLRR as one possible outcome of your current review of new operators. You have a world class RR operation in place with the current operator that will take years, if ever, to replicate. You owe it to the employees, visitors and most of all citizens of Colorado who will be forced to foot the bill for what conceivably could be a multimillion dollar investment in replacement equipment and infrastructure. At this point it appears your subordinates are bent on rushing to replace the current operator without doing a careful analysis of the cost/ benefits of such a course of action. The GL RR took 30 years to achieve the greatness that we see embodied in its operation today, please take the time to carefully evaluate all your options which should include reopening negotiations with the current operator.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Rod Jensen
CC: Governor Bill Owens
Subject Author Posted

The Fat Lady is in the House

Rod Jensen August 09, 2004 10:02PM

Re: The Fat Lady is in the House

Tim Schreiner August 09, 2004 11:06PM

Letter to the editor...

Scott Hightower August 11, 2004 08:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.