February 01, 2023 02:19PM avatar
I am not a Facebook member but I saw this linked elsewhere. I though it worthy of NGDF.

Cass Scenic Railroad

The Journey Continues… Cass to Durbin Line Completed!

The Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad is pleased to announce completion of a 15-mile long section of railroad between Cass and Durbin, WV following a multi-year restoration. Today, the official steam locomotive of West Virginia, 118 year old Shay No. 5, made the first complete trip over the line since 1985.

Departing Cass at 9am pulling a caboose full of crew members, Shay No. 5 began the journey to Durbin where it retrieved Heisler No. 6 for its much anticipated return to Cass.

The monumental undertaking to restore the piece of railroad, which was decimated by historic flooding in 1985, included the repair of over over five miles of washed out roadbed, track and the construction of a new bridge.

Beginning this spring the Greenbrier Express will depart the restored, historically important town of Cass and closely follow the free-flowing Greenbrier River to the small mountain village of Durbin. The ride upriver to Durbin passes through secluded wilderness featuring beautiful scenes of forested mountains at each turn of the river. Sightings of Deer, River Otters, and Black Bear along with a wide variety of Eagles, Hawks, Ospreys are common.

Please follow our social media channels and www.mountainrail.com for updates, including schedule and reservation information which will be announced soon.

Cass Durbinn.jpg

I believe the bridge in that photo is the one that delayed completion of that track for years.

While tthey show various 2023 trips available on their website, it appears that tickets for 'Greenbrier Express' referred to above are not listed yet: [www.mountainrail.com]

If you really can't give up FB, here is the original link: [www.facebook.com]

- Graham
Subject Author Posted

NNG, but honorary? Cass to Durbin WV now restored Attachments

Rader Sidetrack February 01, 2023 02:19PM

Re: NNG, but honorary? Cass to Durbin WV now restored

laxriter February 01, 2023 09:15PM

cdaspit February 02, 2023 08:30AM

Brian Norden February 04, 2023 11:53PM

Re: NNG, but honorary . . . smileys with beer

Russo Loco February 03, 2023 01:38PM

Re: NNG, but honorary . . . smileys with beer

Tom Moungovan February 03, 2023 06:08PM

Re: NNG, but honorary . . . and BIG!

Russo Loco February 03, 2023 08:03PM

Re: NNG, but honorary . . . and BIG!

Buffalo Bob February 03, 2023 09:15PM

Re: Shays at Railfair 99

benquirk February 05, 2023 07:04AM

Re: Shays at Railfair 99

Tom Moungovan February 05, 2023 08:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login