Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Needleton Tank - images from Erick Nelson

July 23, 2004 09:25PM
Erick--thanks for the updated painting pictures. I'll be riding the 2nd train up Sunday morning with some folks from the CHS and it will be my first visit since the shingle work. This is a good demonstration of how the CHS works in partnership with the owners of historic properties to save and protect them. From my first involvement with this tank in the early 70s when the D&RGW was hell-bent on razing the structure to being the contractor on the restoration, it has been a long ride to see this tank saved.
And for the 102nd time, the tank has not been rebuilt to hold water, though the main feed line is still active. There are too many out of shape staves, holes in the bottom of the tank, etc to reasonably try to use this tank as built. A bladder of some sort or new holding tank inside could do the job, or it could be fed from the existing tank just up the track. A useable tank would have meant a new tank body, and that would have doubled the cost of this restoration, and the historical fund and the D&S were not willing to underwrite that large a project.
And this part of the CHS has relatively little to do with the Georgetown situation.
Subject Author Posted

Needleton Tank - images from Erick Nelson

Crayuft July 23, 2004 08:06AM

Tim Schreiner July 23, 2004 10:28AM

Wooly July 23, 2004 02:03PM

Mike Trent July 23, 2004 05:00PM

David Fluit July 23, 2004 08:26PM

Fritz Klinke July 23, 2004 09:25PM

Fritz Klinke July 23, 2004 10:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.