Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Some pics from the Great Western Steam Up

July 06, 2022 11:43AM
Kelly Anderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Did anyone hear what the plans are for the V&T
> Lyon, in the background of your first photo?

Hi Kelly,

I'm not affiliated with the museum, so perhaps someone such as CCdW can fill in the details if/when he is in a position to do so.

I can only relate what I observed as an event attendee and what I was told by the gentleman who was tending the exhibit, who basically founded the project more than 2 decades ago. It was great to finally get to meet him in-person. I think it is public knowledge that the Lyon replica project has been donated to the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Apparently, whenever the museum contemplates undertaking a significant project, a formal assessment is typically done and in this case, the result was a pretty voluminous document, which the project originator showed to me. It detailed the history of the original locomotive and the project. It also contained the current status and a scope of work required to complete it. As it was explained to me, the museum does indeed intend to finish the replica and operate the locomotive when it is complete. As with any such project, there is no timeframe discussed. The originator did indicate that folks from the museum have already started working on various aspects of the project and he pointed out some of that work.

Seeing this replica again for the first time in perhaps 20 years (I last saw it in Strasburg's back shops during numerous shop tours), it was remarkable how much progress had been made, considering the fact that it was being done mostly by private individuals and funded with donations. The boiler and chassis are largely complete, as is the tender. Many appliances and cab hardware still need to be fabricated. They had 3-D printed models of cross-head pumps on hand to show some of the yet-to-be built components. The cool thing about this replica is that it is a small locomotive, which makes it fairly easy to transport, and being a new-build engine, it can be maintained the way an operational steam engine is maintained, without fear of damaging or destroying historic fabric, which is always a key concern with the surviving, original V&T Locomotives.

When this engine is done, it will be a great addition to the NSRM's collection, showing off the state of technology at the very beginnings of the V&T Railway.

I attended all 4 days of the Great Western Steam-Up and it was indeed a great event.....probably the closest we can come to some of the Railfairs that happened toward the end of the last century. Congratulations and thanks are due to the NSRM and all of the other museums, groups and individuals who participated and made it happen. It was incredible to not only see all of this equipment gathered in one place, but to get the opportunity to talk with so many folks who have dedicated their lives to preserving this part of our heritage. I am sure that the logistics of putting it together were a formidable undertaking, but those of us who attended thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and very much appreciated their efforts.

I'll have some photos to share at some point in the near future. I gave my new Z9 a real work-out.

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

Some pics from the Great Western Steam Up Attachments

Dave Peterson July 02, 2022 10:25AM

Rader Sidetrack July 02, 2022 12:48PM

Re: Some pics from the Great Western Steam Up Attachments

Dave Peterson July 02, 2022 07:49PM

michael July 02, 2022 08:14PM

Dave Peterson July 02, 2022 11:20PM

Ted miles July 03, 2022 11:34AM

Ken Martin July 05, 2022 10:01AM

Kelly Anderson July 05, 2022 06:55PM

KevinM July 06, 2022 11:43AM

LooseCaboose July 05, 2022 08:15PM

edsshay July 06, 2022 09:03AM

Johnson Barr July 05, 2022 08:45PM

1trackmind July 09, 2022 02:20PM

et&wnc July 06, 2022 03:34PM

Ted miles July 08, 2022 01:27PM

Earl July 08, 2022 02:26PM

KevinM July 08, 2022 03:20PM

Dave Peterson July 09, 2022 03:23PM

Rader Sidetrack July 09, 2022 07:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login