Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: CTSRR Chama Coal Tipple = Top.

June 11, 2022 12:31PM
All told under a week, we worked with a crew of 4 on the main coal pocket with a 5th man on the ground. we replaced 5 doug fir timbers and re sheathed the the deck in 2 x 6 t & g, before applying the roofing material. that took 3 1/2. Brian Koeneke and I were the only members interested in the sheave house portion where we replaced the roof sheathing, minor structural repairs and roofing material. the siding had been recently rehabbed and looked pretty sharp, but painting was completed with a long extension ladder placed in the basket of a 40' telehandler lift parked on the slope of the ash pit. .this was done on off hours on a sunday to avoid gawkers and criticism. fall protection was in place the whole operation but for the sheave house painting, a fall would have resulted in a long complicated recovery.
The coal chute cover was of ad hoc construction based on marginal design and execution so Brian and I rebuilt it in "the spirit" of original construction ad retained some but corrected other deficiencies. the video shows the whole job appears to be holding up well, As I remember, some of the bravado in the project was prompted by Jay declaring on the goatboards that no local builder was capable or willing and that it was impossible to come in under the $40,000.00 bid ( or something) we decided to prove the old goat wrong. Of course Soni honneger was gen. manager and pushed this and several other key infrastructure projects thru.
one interesting part was the quantity of bear poop in the sheave house, the hatch had been propped open allowing access and a series of ladders leads from near ground level and apparently this is somehow attractive. sadly, the pictures of this are mis labeled or lost on my computer for now, John
Subject Author Posted

CTSRR Chama Coal Tipple = Top. Attachments

Roger Hogan June 08, 2022 06:01AM

Jimr260 June 08, 2022 06:20AM

Roger Hogan June 08, 2022 09:24AM

John Cole June 10, 2022 09:12AM

Roger Hogan June 10, 2022 01:38PM

BEVERMAHN June 10, 2022 09:13PM

Roger Hogan June 11, 2022 07:04AM

BEVERMAHN June 11, 2022 12:31PM

waynek June 11, 2022 01:19PM

Roger Hogan June 11, 2022 03:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login