Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Responding to good ideas in Ed's article

August 04, 2000 07:51AM
1. A first class coach that "stays on the rails" (unlike the Hinman) is an excellent idea. I would add to the suggestion: scrap the fixed bench seating concept and substitute a "sofa chair" (i.e. an overstuffed chair) concept. The chairs would not be fixed to the floor but could be repositioned to a facing desired by the occupant. This type of seating was used on the coach I rode in 1979 on the WP&Y. The WP&Y chairs were not sofa chairs, but more spartan in appearance yet comfortable. You lose seating capacity with this seating format, but you increase passenger comfort by 10 or 100 fold. I think the market would support the necessary price.
2. The extended season is a terrific concept. I think Chama could be sold on the concept if a bus trip linking the Antonito terminus to Chama is included in the plan. Chama could still host people in their motels, but the passenger loading would take place in Antonito. A great way to extend the work year for some trainmen, and support personnel. Can't wait to see how you heat the coaches!
Subject Author Posted

News update

Don August 03, 2000 08:29AM

Good job Ed w/ a suggestion

Roger Hogan August 03, 2000 02:04PM

Responding to good ideas in Ed's article

David Border August 04, 2000 07:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.