Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Long term shelter for wooden cars?

June 16, 2004 08:37AM
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I don't remember it. While we're all highly appreciative and impressed with the restoration work of the Friends of C&TS (on structures and rolling stock a for-profit operator would have no use for), I'm wondering what the long-term plans for rolling stock shelter are?
It's great to see these old wooden cars getting restoration work today, but I'm wondering about the eventual time when the volunteers are too old to participate. What will happen to the equipment then? Also, there still are more cars than the volunteers can feasibly restore.
It would seem that a couple or three long, roofed pole shelters (3-4 tracks wide) could make a world of difference for this ancient equipment. Orange Empire Railway Museum in California just built a similar carbarn, capable of holding 65 cars. Theirs is enclosed, but one on the C&TS might not need to be. Open sides might make access better in case of fire. Antonito is probably better than Chama, as it is dryer and such structures would not impinge on a historic site.
These would not seem to be terribly costly to construct, perhaps using some donated broken telephone or power poles, local sawmill lumber and corrugated roofing.
Has this been considered or discussed before?
Subject Author Posted

Long term shelter for wooden cars?

Bob Yarger June 16, 2004 08:37AM

Re: Long term shelter for wooden cars?

John Wilke June 16, 2004 10:06AM

Bill Kepner June 16, 2004 11:49AM

Paul Hagglund June 16, 2004 02:58PM

John Wilke June 16, 2004 05:06PM

Douglas vV June 16, 2004 06:02PM

o anderson June 16, 2004 08:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.