Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crescent Tramway

May 25, 2004 07:27PM
Hi, I really do know if this is the right forum for this letter?
I live in Park City, Utah. (4 generations) My home is at 662 Crescent Tramway. The Crescent Tramway was built to accommodate a narrow gauge railroad from Park City to the Crescent mine in around 1886. The last engine used was a Shay, built by the Lima Locomotive Works. She was a thing of beauty, a wood burner, capable of carrying two cords, and water capacity of 660 gallons. Named the Maud Withy after chief engineer C.H. Withy's wife.
In 1901 the mine was closed and the tramway abandon. In 1902 Park City laid a sidewalk, within the city limits, on the old road bed and it has been in use since.
Now developers want to close off a city block of the tramway so they can build homes, etc. I believe if enough pressure is brought to bear on the City's Fathers this destruction of a historical landmark will be saved.
The Park City Planing Department will decide the fate of the Tramway on June 9, 2004. If any members of this group would like to help, please send E-mail to Mayor Dana Evens, or Head of the Planing Dept. Pat Put. care of Park City Municipal Corp.
Thanking all for their kind attention.
Gary Kimball, PO Box 788, Park City, Utah 84060
(435)649-9115
Subject Author Posted

Crescent Tramway

Gary Kimball May 25, 2004 07:27PM

Re: Crescent Tramway *LINK*

David Fluit June 15, 2004 01:24AM

Park City memories

El Coke June 15, 2004 09:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.