Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A hypothetical question

November 30, 2020 04:15PM avatar
Hank,

I formulated my reply for the person asking about EVs with respect to CO2 emissions. I neglected your original question. But now, to yours:

Your question is difficult to answer, as the amount of pollutants coal produces can be very difficult to quantify. Much of it is related to the composition of the coal. The situation is further compounded by the fact that a hand-fired coal boiler will likely never see perfect, complete combustion.

However, Willie is wrong in his statement regarding the production of NOx in external combustion chambers. While he is correct that the thermal production (oxidation of atmospheric diatomic nitrogen) of NOx in an external combustion chamber is minimal, the fuel production of NOx can be quite high, especially in high-nitrogen content fuels like coal. The same can be said for SOx and particulate matter.

I am not going to bother to try to even make assumptions towards any level of objective analysis. However, by inspection, we can say with relative confidence that the atmospheric burning of coal releases more NOx, SOx, and particulate matter per BTU of energy than gasoline in an internal combustion engine. It then boils down to the question of how many gasoline engines operating for X amount of time producing Y amount of energy does it take to equal and exceed the pollution caused by one steam train trip across the line. Seems like 240 vehicles traveling 600 miles each might just do that.

It's quite easy to see a future with mostly electric cars. They may be expensive now, but the first gasoline-powered automobiles were also luxury items that cost more than a horse and buggy. "A noisy, stinky horseless carriage in my town? Inconceivable!"

This forum, even this thread, likes to not so subtly snidely point the finger at "greenie" "tree-hugging" environmentalists. As one of "those people" I would like to point out that many of us enjoy steam trains, and understand that a handful of tourist railroads operating steam is not an environmental concern. MOST people concerned about the environment understand that the real problems are industrial pollution and automobiles. Do not take the "granola" culture in Durango as representative of all of us, many of us scientists and engineers - they are merely folks who don't like the look and smell of a little bit of coal smoke in their town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 04:15PM by rainbowroute.
Subject Author Posted

A hypothetical question

hank November 29, 2020 01:19PM

Todd Hackett November 29, 2020 02:41PM

Olaf Rasmussen November 29, 2020 03:08PM

Todd Hackett November 29, 2020 03:43PM

Johnson Barr November 29, 2020 07:50PM

dave2-8-0 November 29, 2020 08:55PM

Re: Hypothetical work-arounds . . . eye rolling smiley

Johnson Barr November 29, 2020 09:15PM

hank November 30, 2020 02:42PM

rainbowroute November 30, 2020 04:15PM

RichB November 29, 2020 09:06PM

kcsivils November 29, 2020 10:47PM

Russo Loco November 30, 2020 11:35AM

Rob483 November 30, 2020 02:48PM

Russo Loco November 30, 2020 06:21PM

rainbowroute November 30, 2020 11:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login