Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: ET&WNC RR - Doe River Gorge Summer Camp

April 09, 2020 03:04PM avatar
I should think the camp would love to have both of the bridges complete, and running trains over them, I don't think they'll ever do that.
There's really nowhere to go, past the bridges. The original tourist operation that relaid the tracks into the gorge, ended right there. Beyond the last Doe river bridge, there is maybe about 30 feet of right away, then there is a road that runs all the way down to Blevins.
As far as I understand, the camp property ends right where the road begins, give or take.
The original tourist operation, at one point called Hillbilly World, put her on the train so the locomotive was sitting on that bridge, then they would back down to the passing track at Pardee point.
Today, the track ends before you get to the first tunnel near those bridges. A series of slides and Rock Falls, coupled with Decades of neglect of the track at the far and, has led the right away unusable Beyond Pardee point.
While the bridges are, essentially intact, they would still need a great deal of work before anyone would trust them handle a steady load.

-Lee

Flickr photo set of my On30 layout
Subject Author Posted

ET&WNC RR - Doe River Gorge Summer Camp

AlpineCMR April 08, 2020 12:36PM

Re: ET&WNC RR - Doe River Gorge Summer Camp

et&wnc April 09, 2020 03:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login