Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bells & Whistles, Bits & Pieces

February 11, 2004 07:16AM
I believe many of the earlier builders plates were scrapped by the Grande itself during WW1 scrap drives. I noticed most of the Mudhen;s didnt wear their original Brass Number Plates (all except 454,458) and most didnt have their original builders plates after WW1. I think only the 460 wore its builders plate after that time frame. To the best of my knowledge no Mudhen Builder's Plates and one Number Plate (454) in brass have survived. I have seen all of the 480's wearing their 1925 builders plates right up until the 60's of their Grande Career. Photo's and a few historians that i have talked to suggest that some of the plates were removed as they were taken out of service. Some removed by the Grande employees themselves and sold or given to Collectors. I think all of the 480's today wear plates. Some look original and some look to be reproduced. Outside of the Plates that the existing 470's wear, I do not know of any builders plates that survived. Well, thats my additional 2 cents for the day.
Subject Author Posted

Bells & Whistles, Bits & Pieces

Steve Gilbert February 10, 2004 03:18PM

Jim Raffa February 10, 2004 06:23PM

Earl February 10, 2004 08:56PM

Jim Raffa February 11, 2004 07:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.