Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Baker at Work. thumbs up

February 24, 2020 04:42PM avatar
Thanks James,

They were very fast and smooth runners, certainly capable of 70 MPH with the usual claims of even higher speeds.

Three retired Enginedriver's I worked with, live in my village, all of them worked J/JA classes(and KB) as Firemen in the 1960's in the South Island and later as Drivers in excursion service in the North Island: this subject came up in a discussion a few months ago after a few beers.

One claimed he was firing on an Express on the South Mine Line(South Is) and his ED had it right out, he thought easily doing 85 mph of above.
Second said to me quietly that anyone saying that speed was bsing, he doubted it for sure but added "in excess of 80 mph, certainly".
and the third said to me they were never in that much of a hurry on the North Main Line..... smiling smiley

However based on personal experience without witnesses, full out, down gradient on brand new heavy 50kg railed, concrete sleepered tangent track, you can attain high speed enough to chill your spine .......but that was running a light loco and Diesel grinning smiley
Subject Author Posted

Baker at Work. thumbs up

Chris Walker February 17, 2020 02:02PM

Tom Moungovan February 17, 2020 03:45PM

Kelly Anderson February 24, 2020 03:42PM

James February 24, 2020 04:13PM

Chris Walker February 24, 2020 04:42PM

Chris Walker February 24, 2020 04:21PM

Sandiapaul February 24, 2020 06:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login