Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crown locomotives reunited in Florida soon

January 20, 2020 12:25PM avatar
Many of you have likely never heard of Six Gun Territory. It's a long-defunct western themed park in Ocala, Florida. To get there, you had to park in a lot, and either take a overhead car (torn down in the last few years) or take a ride behind one of two Crown 4-4-0s to the western town. It was toast by the 80s.
This place bought a lot of the remains of that park, and they just announced they have bought the second of the two Crown locomotives they ran there, so they’re finally going to be running again: [www.kirbyfarm.com]
I’ve read that lots of fans of Six Gun Territory come to their events, and it’s great they’re maintain that history. Of all the places I have been in my youth, that’s one of the ones I wish that I’d taken more photos of. We only went there for a weekend as in the season before it went under for good, they’d tried having a civil war weekend (which apparently confused the tourists who either didn’t know it wasn’t every weekend or they didn’t ‘get’ it at all). It was comically cheesy (though not the worst civil war event we ever attended, I grew up in a family that attended re-enactments with my Dad's 6-pounder field gun), but it was a neat experience as they let us kids ride all the rides for free. We only went the one time but from friends who went the next year, we heard they charged the kids to ride the rides. NOBODY came back again after that. The thing that surprised us was how well built the place was. It was in the middle of nowhere but they did a good job building it all. Its shame that a few years later, it all got bulldozed over. At least the depot managed to get moved
[en.wikipedia.org]

-Lee

Flickr photo set of my On30 layout
Subject Author Posted

Crown locomotives reunited in Florida soon

et&wnc January 20, 2020 12:25PM

Re: Crown locomotives reunited in Florida soon

Everett Lueck January 22, 2020 04:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login