Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Victor A. Miller biography

January 20, 2020 01:36PM avatar
You’re welcome Ned !

Some time ago, I started to wonder if the story of Miller resigning because of a « fight » with Judge John Foster Symes (Miller was supposed divorcing the Judge’s daughter) was true or not.
I came to the conclusion that it was probably just a story. Symes daughters were named Cynthia and Virginia, whereas Miller’s first wife was named Helen, and the second Beatrice.
See Judge Symes orbituary [files.usgwarchives.net] and colpare with Miller (short) biography [duarchives.coalliance.org]

When I purchased my copy of RGS Story Vol. X, I didn’t knew it had a chapter written by Gabriel Bradford entitled «  Why did Victor Miller resign ? »
Bradford give no credit to the supposed family situation between the two men, and instead brings out historical facts to about the issue.

There was indeed a « fight » between Miller and Symes. But it was about Superintendent Forest White successor.

Miller wanted to promote Roadmaster Richard Murphy. Symes wanted to hire E.T. Barrett from the D&RGW. But Barrett wanted $375 per month (while White was paid $300). Miller argued with Symes over the unnecessary expenditure, especially since White had 40 years of service to the RGS. Barrett was also to be paid $75 higher F.C. Krauser (who was Assistant Receiver), who was to be his superior. Krauser also had several decades of work with the RGS. He was also to be paid more than Miller himself, who was in charge of the whole property as receiver (it also seems there was also a controversy between them about the receiver salary).

Miller also note that after talking with Barrett, while he thought the man was « a splendid young railroader of the highest type » (Miller’s words), he mainly had background in track work, and nothing in train movement, maintenance of equipment, and any wisdom on how to manage such a railroad the RGS was. But Symes didn’t changed his mind, and Miller resigned...

The « funny » thing is it seemed that Barrett remained with the Southern only about a year per Bradford... He also state that the correspondance between Miller and Symes let no doubt about the issue between the two men was serious, given the choice of words in the letters.

I also wandered to wonder if Miller’s ex C&S cars had something to do in the issue... ?
RGS Story vol XII has a chapter about Miller’s cars. The cars should have been repaired by C&S, but work was also done by the RGS for about $3500. An expenditure Miller didn’t seek authority from the court to spent. And this seemed to have played a role when Herrington had to deal with the disposal of the cars, and that bill never settled by Miller.

Anyway, truly fascinating stuff !

------------------------------------------------------------
Sebastien
SNCF passenger trains engineer
Volunteer on the "Chemin de Fer de Rillé" (60cm/2ft, France)
www.aecfm.fr
cfrtrain.blogspot.fr
Subject Author Posted

Victor A. Miller biography

SebJ January 18, 2020 02:31AM

nedsn3 January 19, 2020 08:41AM

SebJ January 20, 2020 01:36PM

Re: Victor A. Miller biography - and the Maginot Line

nedsn3 January 20, 2020 03:33PM

Como January 20, 2020 05:30PM

Husker Hank January 20, 2020 06:25PM

Brian Norden January 20, 2020 09:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login