Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Narrow Guage Railroads

January 26, 2004 10:39PM
George Hilton, Stanford University Press , 1990 - and reprinted after words, is one of the best books on narrowguage railroading that I have seen. I strongly recomend you get a copy, for research of any major or minor carrier in the United States. The following is a brief summary from that work, wich in turn is taken from "Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Bulliten #114 (1966) pg. 48-52.
Farmville & Powhatan Railroad - originally portions built as Standard Guage as the Clover Hill Railroad from the Clover Hill Mine (Coal) at Winterprock to Chester (18 miles). Reorganized as the Bright Hope Railway & Coal Co. in 1877. Switched to narrowguage in May of 1881 and extended 11 miles from Chester to Bermuda Hundred, also an extension south, 4.5 miles from Winterprock to Eppes Falls - completed Oct. 1882.
Farmville & Powhatan RR formed march 10, 1884 to build from Cumberland and Powhatan. July 1889 F&P bought the Bright Hope RR and merged it, connecting the two rr's at Coalboro in March of 1890. Sold under forclosure in June of 1905 and reorganized as the Tidewater and Western RR. Rairload had seven or eight locomotives and a daily passenger train. Dismantled for use in WWI for the french army / rail needs, remenents shipped over seas, but the was ended before they were put ot use.
----- maybe there is a french junk dealer with a whole RR for sale!!!!!!!!
Subject Author Posted

hello and can you help

Dan January 24, 2004 11:58PM

Re: hello and can you help

Ted Miles January 26, 2004 11:59AM

American Narrow Guage Railroads

Rodger Polley January 26, 2004 10:39PM

Re:thanks for the info really appreciate it

Dan January 27, 2004 10:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.