Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 6et book

January 23, 2004 02:06PM
Sure John, though I have a feeling you could write it yourself. I just took an extra copy that I had of Westinghouse's own 6ET and their K brakes manuals to the rr for the yard office library. Backchannel me with your mailing adress if you are serious about wanting to borrow it and the K book too if you want. I have been picking some of these types of manuals up off ebay for my own education. I paid $1.00 plus shipping for my copy of the 6ET book, but mostly these manual are going for around $10.00 ea. I was at the rr Wed. afternoon working on caboose 3's brake system with my son and Jerry Huck, so I may not be back over for a week or so.
Caboose 3 as you may know is in the restoration shop (formerly what we called the 19 shed). It's brake system appears to be what it may have had pre SVRy if we assume it was a UN caboose originally. It has what I believe is a plain triple valve with the built in cut out cock that would allow it to also work with a straight air system. (The DRGW combine that we got from the Sundown and Southern auction has a similar brake system, but with a larger brake cylinder and larger plain triple valve.) We disassembled the brake resevoir off the car along with the attatched triple valve as I bet it hasn't been unscrewed off the pipe connection in 65 or more years. I have it here at my shop to work on as time permits. The resevoir has it's last COTS date on it which I think was 5-22-43. We pulled the brake cylinder apart with some difficulty as there was perhaps 3/4" of rust/crud laying in the bottom. The bore may be pretty rough. We spent some time tracing out where the piping ran to the cupola for a gauge and emergency valve. This piping has been removed starting from near where it went up through the floor. We need an emergnecy valve for it and probably a nice brass duplex gauge. It appears that it must have had a duplex gauge in the cupola for both brake pipe and brake cyl. press as there was an 1/8" or 1/4" line comming off the brake cylinder head that appeared to have gone up through the floor along with the larger line for the brake emergency valve. How typical was this to have a duplex gauge? Caboose 5 has a duplex gauge, but the brake system has been redone with a K1 triple valve and I only conected a line from the emergency dump valve line to the gauge for brake pipe pressure. I have manuals with cut aways of the early type triple that caboose 3 has, but no parts lists with part #'s. If it is salvagable, I will no doubt need gaskets (who knows it they are still available).
Subject Author Posted

Brake Question

jbbane January 20, 2004 07:54PM

Re: Brake Question

El Coke January 20, 2004 10:10PM

Jeff Chittick January 21, 2004 08:47AM

jbbane January 21, 2004 10:15AM

chris ahrens January 21, 2004 06:41PM

jbbane January 22, 2004 10:40AM

6et book

El Coke January 22, 2004 09:59PM

Re: 6et book

jbbane January 23, 2004 02:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.