October 27, 2019 05:27PM avatar
Steve Forney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Tom.
> Considering how much research has gone into
> getting 168 Period Correct, I'd be inclined to
> think roof were silver. Perhaps someone can find a
> photo.

Is this a work in progress, still underway?

In my book it would be a difficult call, since most photos taken are from trackside, rarely above roofline. Numerous ten-wheeler wreck photos (that I've seen) show no bright rooves.

Since the Boiler appears as a different colour in this 1917-1923 photo then surely the cabroof would be same. Otherwise you'd have a dog's breakfast. Unfortunately Mrs Flowerhat obscures the cab roof and I am totally unable to speculate on the boiler jacket colour, be it Black, Red or Green.

[salidaarchive.info]
168-Boilerpaint.JPG

Only the #167 wearing a light coloured roof but that was in the preceding DENVER & RIO GRANDE on the Tender paint scheme.
[salidaarchive.info]
tenderfoot-behind-roundhouseSalidaCentennialArchive.jpg

The #163 at Chama in the same paint scheme does not show lighter coloured roof. Cab roof has rainstrip, single-pane windows. [digital.denverlibrary.org]
#163_Z-205.JPG

Monte Ballough photo's of the #161 at Chama with assembled Shopcrew, in the large number on tank scheme shows a differing shade matching the dome covers but not bright. The large number on tank scheme. Numerals are in Block not extended Roman. Cab roof has rainstrip, single-pane windows.

The #174 photo on the Alamosa Turntable, shows a lighter roof, could again be Sun reflecting. Large number on tank scheme, numerals are in Block not extended Roman. Cab roof has rainstrip, single-pane windows.

Monte Ballough photo of the 170 derailed on a Bridge show the Traincrew atop the cabroof, grimy black with three prominent ankle-width lateral seams. Paint scheme is the DENVER & RIO GRANDE on the Tender. Roofline has rainstrips, single-pane windows.

Dave Grandt posted his photo here that shows the #168 with a lighter roof, could be the glare from the high Sun angle? The large number on tank scheme in extended Roman. No rainstrip visible. Four-pane windows which leads me to ask, was the roof sealing treatment changed at the time of the window sash upgrades?
That photo also shows the Pilot truck Flanger, which was still on the #168 in the 1936 Texas Rangers movie appearance, removed by the D&RGW at the time of the backdated donation to Colorado Springs.

There are 2 additional photos showing the #168 in large number on tank scheme from differing angles that show the Whistle as a multichime and fitted to the side of the steamdome. The Hooter whistle was fitted to the top of the steamdome in the preceding short fronted Boiler DENVER & RIO GRANDE on the Tender paint scheme.

There are two other little details missing from the #168 at this time, anyone else know what they are?
Yeah, I know. It's not a K-36 and who cares. smiling smiley
Subject Author Posted

168 To Lava October 14, 2019

Steve Forney October 25, 2019 05:15PM

Re: 168 To Lava October 14, 2019

Tom Peterman October 26, 2019 06:08PM

Steve Forney October 26, 2019 07:23PM

Brian Norden October 27, 2019 12:55AM

Re: 168 Cab Roof Appearance. Attachments

Chris Walker October 27, 2019 05:27PM

Re: 168 at Sunrise, 10/14/19 . . . smileys with beer

Johnson Barr October 26, 2019 06:47PM

Re: 168 at Sunrise, 10/14/19 . . . smileys with beer

Steve Forney October 26, 2019 07:28PM

Re: 168 west of the Craton . . . eye rolling smiley

Russo Loco October 26, 2019 07:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login