Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Colorado Vacation 1963 - and some last pics

September 13, 2019 01:39PM avatar
Here's ex-C&S #60 at Idaho Springs.
Always liked the C&S but I don't think we made it to Central City to see #71 that trip.

C&S 60 at Idaho Springs July 1963 R. Beaumont.jpg

The Colorado RR Museum was a HUGE eye opener. We had booked into the Iron Horse Motel and Bob Richardson was behind the desk when we rolled in. The room wasn't ready yet, so he told us to wander the museum while he made it up. Before we left I signed up for the Iron Horse News (Free - but with you providing six stamped, self-addressed, #10 envelopes at appropriate intervals), and I maintained my subscription for years and years and years. The Iron Horse Manure at the end was the best part. I guess Bob had many past copies of the Iron Horse News on hand, and at one point had a deal to purchase all past issues. Donated my set not too long ago to the Ridgway RR Museum.

This trip was in the days before internet, and I wondered how dad had found out about all this narrow gauge stuff. I don't remember him saying but I gather he had written the D&RGW publicity dept and had corresponded with Jackson Thode - so another real highlight was the invitation to meet him in his office. What a generous man, who mailed a couple extra photos for us when we got home. I wish I knew if dad had kept those letters, they would have been real keepsakes.

Anyway, a couple last photos attached below.

Colorado Railroad Museum 346 July 1963 R. Beaumont.jpg

CRRM 318 - Low Res.jpg

CRRM 1963.jpg

IMG.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Colorado Vacation 1963 - some post-Durango pics Attachments

tgbcvr September 13, 2019 01:20PM

Re: Colorado Vacation 1963 - and some last pics Attachments

tgbcvr September 13, 2019 01:39PM

Re: Colorado Vacation 1963 - some post-Durango pics

Herb Kelsey September 14, 2019 02:21AM

cdaspit September 14, 2019 09:23AM

Johnson Barr September 14, 2019 02:43PM

Herb Kelsey September 14, 2019 04:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login