Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SP #18 Cascade Canyon Express 7/18/19

July 21, 2019 12:10PM
Nice video Bob. Probably a nice ride too. Glad to see the engine made it okay.

Since you obviously put some work into editing these videos, I thought you, and perhaps others might like a tip. I noticed a couple of scenes where you are leaning out of the train, and the scene goes crooked. About 2 years ago I stumbled upon a way to fix it. I had a shot of N&W 611 backing up, and was nice and level on the tripod. But I was in a parking garage, and once the engine got so far backing past me, there was a pillar in the way. I picked up the whole tripod with the camera, moved about 6-8 feet, and set it down. I had no time to level, so it was all crooked-out of level.

Here is what you can do to fix it. If you have any sort of editing program, you may have some features that will do this.
I use Final Cut Pro 7. First select the scene in your time line you want to fix. Double-clip it, and open MOTION. In there is a bunch of tools and things. Use the ROTATION tool, and go to the left or right maybe 2-4 degrees, or whatever is needed. You can go -2 or whatever to make it rotate the other way a little. Once you have the train or subject looking pretty level, you now have a problem. The image is titled within the original framework. Thus there is a black corner or 2 showing which needs to go away. So in MOTION go to ASPECT ratio. You can probably select 102-106 to enlarge the image to rid yourself of the black edges and fill the Frame. Now it should look pretty good. Since you have enlarged it you may want to sharpen it slightly using that feature in effects or somewhere else depending on your program.

I like to pass along tips like this now and then, cause over the years I have gotten lots of help along the way from others who know more than I do. This was one I found on my own somehow!!!! smiling smiley. Give it a try sometime and see what you think.

Thanks for the videos. Nice to see some of my old stomping grounds.

Greg Scholl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 12:13PM by Greg Scholl.
Subject Author Posted

SP #18 Cascade Canyon Express 7/18/19

rockrdg July 20, 2019 06:14PM

Bill Scobie July 21, 2019 10:46AM

rockrdg July 22, 2019 10:35PM

Greg Scholl July 21, 2019 12:10PM

rockrdg July 22, 2019 10:43PM

drgwk37 July 22, 2019 10:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login