Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: WP&YR/Sumpter Valley Tank Car 60?

May 10, 2019 09:57AM avatar
I have lost track of which tanks are what # but can narrow it down, no pun intended. In the lower photo, the yellow tank is the tank from SVRy #99, or one that is identical which was recovered years back. The tank inside the Jersey barriers at the bottom is a std. ga. tank that was used at South Baker for bunker C storage. It was placed at it's present location to temporarily hold waste oil, but is not used for that normally. The tank on the upper right could be the tank you are looking for. It is from the WP&Y. You will notice just below it in the photo is a silver colored tank car frame. This is the frame and trucks for SVRy tank car #100. #100's original tank had the dome cut down within a few inches of the tank so it could be easily filled under a water spout. This was done after the SVRy mainline shut down, at which point it had truck axles placed under it for watering roads. I think the WP&Y tank adjacent to the frame is to become a stand in for the original #100 tank. We acquired a steel flat car from the WP&Y with a UTLX type tank in wooden saddles. I think this is the tank you see there. Meanwhile the original #100 tank without a complete dome was put on the WP&Y steel flat with it's wooden saddles and turned into a fire train car with a hose reel and fire pump. It is also sometimes used to bring water to the shop area from the water tower for filling tenders, and sometimes staged at Sumpter when we have photo specials so we can top of the tenders at that end. I think that this is probably the silver colored tank in the first photo that is on the storage track across from the water tower. The black tank on the same storage track is a WP&Y UTLX tank car, which is the one we have had for years.
Subject Author Posted

WP&YR/Sumpter Valley Tank Car 60?

Buffalo Bob May 09, 2019 08:27PM

Re: WP&YR/Sumpter Valley Tank Car 60? Attachments

bcp May 09, 2019 08:48PM

nedsn3 May 09, 2019 09:10PM

J.B.Bane May 10, 2019 09:57AM

Greg Maxwell May 12, 2019 01:53PM

ROW Explorer May 10, 2019 06:30PM

J.B.Bane May 11, 2019 10:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login