Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Peruvian Steam Info

WP&Ymike
November 19, 2003 11:35AM
Hi Mike:
Here's a little follow-up on our previous exchange over the 3 WP 2-8-2's that went to Peru. Dr. John Kirchner came up with photos of them together at Casa Grande. Here's what he said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bob:
During the Brazil trip I think you asked about the ex USA WP&Y Mikes that went to Peru. I happened to be looking for some negs of Brazil sugar lines, when I ran across a batch of pics from Casa Grande estate in Peru. They do confirm that the engines carried the numers 18, 19, and 32, with the latter number being that of the COOP that was operating the mill. Assuming the engines were numbered in sequential order, that would likely make it 20, but cannot be sure.
Yes, all three were at Casa Grande. It is a single sugar mill. The other mill numbers were from locations all along the coast of Peru, from Chiclayo in the north to near Mollendo in the south-- but I have never seen an actual list showing which mill carried which number. Most once had railroads, but few were left by the 1970's.
The locos are very Army looking-- no doubt about it. Pics date from early 1970's, but I know at least one of the Mikes was still in use on the line to Puerte Chicama into the 1980's. Last report I heard was that they ran employee excursion trains with steam, but nobody has been back there in twnety years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, that's a bit more anyway.
Bob Sandusky
<sandu@telusplanet.net>
Subject Author Posted

Peruvian Steam Info *LINK*

Dale Brown November 19, 2003 09:04AM

Re: Peruvian Steam Info

WP&Ymike November 19, 2003 11:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.