Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peruvian Steam Info *LINK*

November 19, 2003 09:04AM
Over the past year has been some discussions over the disposition of certain 3 Ft. gauge locomotives in Peru. In searching through some of my info (also known in my house by my wife as crap) some notes on locomotives. In the July -August 1999 Locomotives International Magazine is a article by Dr. Gunter Koch of Germany. He was guest on one of our tours to Peru.
Gunter had visited the narrow gauge railroads of Peru in the mid 70's. A often dangerous and difficult time to travel in Peru. During his visit in 1977 he developed a roster and disposition on some locos. Here is the two locos that have been discussed on this board over the year.
Baldwin 2-8-2 #102 was delievered to the Cuzco-Santa Ana Railway. It had BLW plates,built 1926 builder # 59206 was originally #5, then #124 and finally #102 and is the locomotive on display in Lima, Peru in the Reducto Park in Miraflores.
Baldwin 125 4-6-0 was ex-Sumpter Valley #50. It was built 1916 and had number builders #42865. Gunter saw this locomotive in 1977 in Poroy at Km. 18 dumped with two other locomotives. Since the locomotive dump at Poroy has disappeared it can be safe to assume that the locomotive was scrapped in the 1980's or early 90's during one of the big cleanup projects on the FCS.
#123 a Henschel 2-8-2 built 1955 is preserved in Cuzco near the airport in a childrens playground. A small 0-6-0T was on display in the yards in Cuzco in 1999, but is now been moved away from display.
Now to finally pin down the disposition of the two Sumpter Valley locomotives used out of Chimbote on the FC del Santa. This line was abandoned in 1970. However I believe that all the rolling stock that was not sent to the FCHH or the FCS was scrapped since there was a large scrap steel mill in Chimbote.
Also the ex-WP&Y, ex-USA mikados that were sent to the Casagrande Plantation were photographed in 1979. I have not been able to get a better information on this line. My list of preserved Peruvian locomotives from Bob Whetham does not list any 2-8-2's in Casagrande or Chicama the location of the railroad.
Maybe this will try to clear up some questions. Also someone out there with up to date information can fill in the gaps.
Dale Brown
Subject Author Posted

Peruvian Steam Info *LINK*

Dale Brown November 19, 2003 09:04AM

Re: Peruvian Steam Info

WP&Ymike November 19, 2003 11:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.