Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More Ohio Content Needed

April 03, 2019 06:58AM
Snil, There was a old narrow gauge line down at Haydenville, Ohio. There's not much on the history of it and I believe it was only a few miles long running north to a valley. It supplied clay for clay fired items made by the Haydenville Mining & Manufacturing Company wich started in 1888. Those products were shipped on the Hocking Valley RR in town, the tracks are still there and are used by the Hocking Valley Scenic RR. Before Rt. 33 was widened there used to be a old concrete RR bridge that crossed over the old 2 lane Rt. 33. Going south where the line went thru the hillside it then ended in town on the south hillside , just after passing over Rt. 33 there was a tunnel. The north entrance is caved in but there are moss covered rotted RR ties leading up to it. The south entrance of the tunnel is still open and it is lined with fired clay tile bricks. Same kind that several of the houses in town there still standing are made of. The south tunnel entrance is right next to a cemetery up on the side of the hill, wich makes it even creepier if one ventures inside. It's not the safest place to venture as there are a few caved in spots wich one can climb over. There are still RR ties on the floor of the tunnel. The tunnel roof in the front is lined with clay tile brick and other places are lined with old wood, and other places look like coal seams above. After going inside the hillside about 1/2 way in there is still rail spiked to the RR ties, no tie plates. There is water on the floor in places but not over the ties. About 3/4 of the way in the tunnel is caved in. Inside the tunnel there are 3-4 duck into spots along the east side cut into the rock where one could duck into if a train or mine carts came thru. There are a few old wood insulator pegs along the side of the ceiling on overhead braces. I presume there was some lighting inside as I doubt any telegraph line went thru as the line doesn't go to any town, just a few miles north. The north side of Rt. 33 in the state forest area you can follow the old RR roadbed for awhile along the dirt road then it crosses the road and disappears to to east. As for the tunnel it's really not the safest place to venture, there's alot of moisture, it's a very heavy damp air, water dripping, and very very creepy inside!. I have been in it 3-4 times between the years 2000 and 2008. As for the RR gauge it's narrow gauge I think 36" but I could be wrong, maybe it's 30" ? I know its not smaller like 2 ft. I never took a tape to measure it. The tunnel ceiling clearance in not very high. I could reach and touch it. i'm 6ft. 3" I have know idea what kind of RR engine or equipment they used? It seems to be a forgotten thing of the past wich few know the history of. I do have a few pictures of the tunnels North and South entrances I can post if anyone's interested.
Subject Author Posted

More Ohio Content Needed Attachments

Snil March 19, 2019 11:58AM

Re: More Ohio Content Needed Attachments

Rick Rowlands March 20, 2019 05:57AM

Snil March 20, 2019 06:57AM

o anderson March 20, 2019 12:23PM

Snil March 20, 2019 04:53PM

brian budeit March 20, 2019 05:37PM

Snil March 20, 2019 07:25PM

Greg Scholl March 20, 2019 08:27PM

o anderson March 28, 2019 10:43AM

Snil March 28, 2019 07:31PM

cple_engineer March 25, 2019 08:57AM

Snil March 25, 2019 02:16PM

cple_engineer March 26, 2019 10:37AM

Fritz N. Kuenzel March 30, 2019 09:15PM

Snil April 01, 2019 07:09PM

Fritz N. Kuenzel April 02, 2019 07:14AM

Fritz N. Kuenzel March 31, 2019 06:48AM

James April 02, 2019 11:13AM

Fritz N. Kuenzel April 03, 2019 06:14AM

Fritz N. Kuenzel April 03, 2019 06:58AM

Snil April 03, 2019 08:07PM

Fritz N. Kuenzel April 03, 2019 10:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login