December 26, 2018 02:34PM
John,

The D&RGW narrow gauge experienced a boiler explosion when 455 dropped its crown sheet at Shavano Tank on Marshall Pass. I don't have the date here at the office, but I've got it written into my copy of the D&RGW roster at home. Apparently the crew was too busy taking on water and didn't watch the water level. The explosion killed the crew - or at least the engineer, Tom Dobie (Dobbie?). The locomotive was rebuilt and returned to service. There is no ICC report for this incident on line, but there was coverage in the Salida newspaper.

Late in the steam age, one of the Rio Grande's Baldwin 4-6-6-4s exploded near Louviers, killing the engine crew and an enthusiast who had obtained an unofficial cab ride. I believe there is an ICC report for this incident available on line.

To close on a narrow gauge note, the C&S had a crown sheet failure on the Clear Creek lines which, for once, did not result in fatalities. I believe this was No. 70, at Golden. I think it was written up in one of the Colorado Rail Annuals.

CVM
-30-
Subject Author Posted

On the importance of proper water level Attachments

John West December 26, 2018 02:17PM

Re: On the importance of proper water level

John Cole December 26, 2018 02:31PM

Earl December 26, 2018 02:39PM

Two different accidents?

John West December 26, 2018 03:01PM

Re: Three different accidents on the S.P.

Russo Loco December 26, 2018 09:42PM

Charlie Mutschler December 26, 2018 02:34PM

Earl December 26, 2018 02:36PM

jim pallow December 26, 2018 04:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login