Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG: The Strasburg Rail Road Company: Sounds of Steam in Paradise

November 30, 2018 06:18PM avatar
The Strasburg definitely did its part in the 60's foster future railfans. We also lived about 15 minutes from there. My father knew Ben Kline, an engineer at the time, and we often went over on a Sunday afternoon to see the train. I would have probably wanted to go every weekend, but my father always made it sound like it was so far away.

When Model Railroader had an article in the March 1969 issue about "The Diligent Decapod", featuring plans for Strasburg #90, it mentioned a faraway place of Loveland, Colorado where it had been in service. Little did I know then, that 16 years later, I would be living there.

My father supported our family through photography, and I remember wandering around the future site of the railroad museum, taking roster shots of all the PRR engines that were stored outside.

But 1223 was my favorite, compared to 90, its drivers were huge! Must have been something in the late 60's of having gaudy paint on steam engines when they starred in movies.

Bill Kepner

scan0079.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2018 06:23PM by drgw0579.
Subject Author Posted

NNG: The Strasburg Rail Road Company: Sounds of Steam in Paradise

Mike November 28, 2018 06:30PM

Dave Vollmer November 28, 2018 07:20PM

Re: NNG: The Strasburg Rail Road Company: Sounds of Steam in Paradise Attachments

drgw0579 November 30, 2018 06:18PM

Mike December 01, 2018 11:07AM

Re: NNG: The Strasburg Rail Road Company: Sounds of Steam in Paradise Attachments

Mike November 29, 2018 06:24PM

Wayne Laepple November 30, 2018 06:42PM

Mike December 01, 2018 10:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login