Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Running Again & Economy

June 22, 2018 10:22PM
"The "anti-train-ers" seemingly do not comprehend just how much the RR brings in ..."

During the Viet Nam days early 1970s, I was in the submarine service making patrols out of Apra Harbor, Guam. Lots of problems on the island with the local people complaining about all the military, all branches, flooding the island and hurting their economy. Some businesses even refused to serve those in uniform. The good ole Navy did something smart. One payday (before automatic deposits), every sailor on Guam got paid in $2 bills. By the time I went into town about 5pm for liberty and dinner, there were already signs in business windows stating "No $2 bills" like gas stations, grocery and hardware stores, and restaurants. The island was swamped with the strange bills, no place in the cash register to put them, so there were stacks of $2 bills with rubber bands around them next to each cash register. A brilliant move to prove where most people's bread and butter came from -- and before the sun went down. The attitude on Guam changed virtually overnight. A very demonstrative lesson. Too bad the folks riding the train don't arrive with bright orange dollar bills or something. Durango, Silverton, Chama or Antonito would economically be different communities without the lure of those two railroads. I think most appreciate that. Hopefully the complainers are a minority.

PS - Nice photos of the diesel trains, Jerry. Those photos will soon be history in themselves.

Paul
Subject Author Posted

Running Again Attachments

Jerry474 June 22, 2018 05:14PM

Re: Running Again

Chris Walker June 22, 2018 05:24PM

cdaspit June 22, 2018 05:32PM

Jerry474 June 22, 2018 05:46PM

RichB June 22, 2018 05:54PM

GeorgeGaskill June 22, 2018 06:00PM

Moosie68 June 22, 2018 10:22PM

hank June 23, 2018 08:57AM

Roger Hogan June 22, 2018 06:26PM

drgwk37 June 22, 2018 09:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login