Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Danger NNG: The SP style (at Black Butte?) was ok too

February 28, 2018 07:47AM
Russ I have fond memories of Black Butte. I had seen 4449 two times(Atlanta-Washington on the SR special in 76), and Miami-Birmingham in Feb 1977, but never in Daylight Colors. So we went to Portland in 1989 and chased it all the way to Los Angeles for the LAUPT deal. Anyway I arranged a cab ride at Klamath falls the second morning and Doyle and Jack Wheelihan recommended getting on at Black Butte as they would stop for water there. This was only a two car train, so I figured I wouldn't be missing much as far as trackside was concerned, and we had gotten a great morning shot reflections at Warden. By the way Kodak lost Kathi's slides that morning!!! Or they liked them so much someone kept them!! Anyway got the engine arriving at Black Butte then taking water and got on the cab. Doyle was amazed we had driven 2400 miles and with a 18 month old in tow!!! Essential cargo for that mini-van was a 96 pack of pampers!!!
I got off at Dunsmuir. Tiny little windows in the cab doors to shoot out of, but a neat experience. It was cool seeing the 4449 take water from a real SP water column.

The Second shot on my preview is coming into Black Butte! Enjoy!

Greg
Subject Author Posted

Just like the wide gauge Attachments

John West February 27, 2018 03:22PM

Re: Just like the wide gauge

Mike February 27, 2018 03:27PM

Danger NNG: The SP style was ok too Attachments

John West February 27, 2018 05:47PM

Russo Loco February 27, 2018 06:20PM

Greg Scholl February 28, 2018 07:47AM

GeorgeGaskill February 28, 2018 12:51AM

Earl February 28, 2018 08:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login