Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What's left of AK NG's?

August 15, 2003 12:10PM
Out in the area's where the cold reigns supreme, the cars have survived very well. When we pulled the trucks out of the tundra (they where buried on private property), the brass was still shiny, there was very little deteroration of the metal parts. We have replaced nuts/bolts and any items we felt would make it safer. The wheels are going to be turned, cause they had some flat spots on them. The wood peices from the 1890 Climax trucks were worn out more for the most part, than being rotted. They had used the trucks pretty hard.
The cars that I saw out near Council, had been flipped over and looked like they just need clean up, turned over, oiled and they could be used. It was amazing and challenging at the same time. Getting them back to anywhere would require big pockets.
As for the Porter and cars near Katalla, a freind of mine flew out there and on this trip they were half submerged in tundra. He was going to attempt to get out there during the winter, but I haven't heard back on that yet.
The box car that we have on the TVRR was used as a shed for a car rental company and would take alot to make rail worthy. We would have to build all new running gear. And it is heavy.
I don't know of anyone taking stock of the current items. I know that there are some sites and books out there that have a bit of info on what is up here. And besides the FTVRR, AMTI, and a couple private individuals, Alaska will continue to control what is left out there. Right now, the real activity seems to be happening down in Skagway.
Art
Subject Author Posted

What's left of AK NG's?

Grant Houston August 13, 2003 06:00PM

Art Chase August 14, 2003 03:29PM

Grant Houston August 15, 2003 09:21AM

Art Chase August 15, 2003 12:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.