Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: US Navy steam railroads south of Washington, DC

December 21, 2017 11:15AM
Interesting that you should write this and these questions. I have been doing some research on the Dahlgren railroad connection between the proving ground and the RF&P and while I can help you a bit, there are still some questions that I would love to have answered also.

Dahlgren had a 2-8-0 #99, which was originally Meridian Lumber Co (Louisiana) #206. It was originally used to haul logs from Sieper, LA to the Meridian mill at Meridian, LA from 1923 to 1928. After the Meridian mill burned in 1928, the locomotive hauled logs from Sieper to the Meridian mill at Alco, LA until Sieper cut out in 1929. The locomotive was put into the Alco engine house and stored as west end protection power for the Red River and Gulf RR (owned by the same people as Meridian). The engine was stored there until 1942 until it was sold to the Navy for Dahlgren.
Sometime after WW2 it disappeared and I don't know what happened to it, but I assume that it was scrapped. Two twins (Baldwin 10-34-E locomotives), Chatahoochee Valley #21 and New Hope and Ivyland #40 survive with #40 running in New Hope right now.
Subject Author Posted

US Navy steam railroads south of Washington, DC

ChipMarshall December 06, 2017 11:33PM

nedsn3 December 07, 2017 04:25PM

ChipMarshall December 20, 2017 12:03AM

Richard W. December 20, 2017 02:28PM

Everett Lueck December 21, 2017 11:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login