Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: F&CC cabooses 05 & 06

September 25, 2017 01:40PM
There is interesting history and timing on F&CC Cabooses 05 and 06...

They were purchased in April 1899, reportedly both identical, which I assume also means the same paint and lettering, although we don’t know for sure. This would be the “as delivered” version shown in the photo of 05.

In June 1899 the decision was made to change the southern terminus of the F&CC to Canon City. At the time David Moffat was upset with the town of Florence for not allowing expansion of his railway and milling facilities. This was one of the main reasons for the change. Construction was completed and trains were running to Canon City by February 1900. During this same time the F&CC was also sold and combined with other companies and railways in the area. F&CC company headquarters was officially transferred to Canon City in 1901, and mile markers and main line status were also changed.

The lettering shown in the photo of caboose 06 must have been done somewhere between 1899 and 1903 (when link-and-pin couplers were outlawed). Interestingly, 06 shows CC&CC on top, but still “Florence and Cripple Creek” on the side of the caboose. I believe F&CC caboose 06 was re-lettered rather quickly after being purchased, probably around 1900 to 1901 during the transition to Canon City. 06 has also been listed on F&CC rosters as a private officer’s car so it’s likely the letting was unique and not replicated on 05 or any of the other cabooses.

Although the initials “C.C. & C.C.” were used on mile markers and stations where needed, I believe caboose 06 was the only piece of F&CC equipment or rolling stock which was specifically lettered “CC&CC”. Perhaps it was done as a further snub to the town of Florence by David Moffat as he changed the location of his Railway’s facilities.

And now for a question:

F&CC cabooses 01 to 04 were purchased from the D&RG in 1894 and 1899.
They were listed as 25’-2” in length, and built by Peninsular.
I think that would make them a class 2 caboose, but after looking in a couple books, I’m somewhat confused.
Can anyone identify what D&RG class these cabooses would have originally been, and can we even guess what D&RG numbers they might have been before being sold to the F&CC?
Subject Author Posted

F&CC cabooses 05 & 06 Attachments

Brian Norden September 24, 2017 05:24PM

Ryan September 25, 2017 01:40PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell September 27, 2017 02:44PM

Re: F&CC caboose sold to Magma AZ

ROW Explorer September 27, 2017 08:39PM

Tomstp September 28, 2017 11:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login