May 21, 2017 02:46PM avatar
DSCN1278.JPG
DSCN1279.JPG
DSCN1280.JPG
DSCN1281 - Copy.JPG
I was over confident about identification of these brake shoes sitting in my basement. Part of them came from a creek bottom dump site near George Palmer Lbr. Co. Camp 5. Palmer only ran Shays (std. ga.). 1 or two of the shoes came from a creek bottom dump site near Bowman Hicks Lumber Co.'s Maxville, (also std. ga.). Bowman Hicks had the Shays that had belonged to Palmer, plus Heislers from Nibley Mimnuagh Lbr. Bowman Hicks had bought out both of these companies. The left shoe and middle shoe appear to be identical. The 2nd shoe from the left appears to be interchangeable with the ones on either side of it, but a slightly different pattern. The shoe to the right is noticeably longer, so likely off of one of the big 3 truck Shays. Since becoming SVRR's archivist I have realized the importance of taging artifacts such as these, which I did not do in former years. The final shot shows some additional items drug home form the woods. The left hand car brake shoe came from the shoulder of a public road near Akers Butte at the summit of Bowman Hicks long grade climbing out of the Wallowa Valley. The link I am not sure about. It may have come from the Sumpter country and actually have NG origin. I forget the source of the next brake shoe and a broken brake head off of wooden brake beam. FYI, Nibley Mimnaugh is a company that I include in our SVRR archives, even though it did not connect with SVRy and was std. ga. It was however owned by some of the same figures involved with SVRy and the Oregon Lumber Company.
Subject Author Posted

Geared locomotive brake shoes

terry fosback May 18, 2017 08:57PM

Re: Geared locomotive brake shoes

J.B.Bane May 18, 2017 10:13PM

terry fosback May 20, 2017 10:33PM

Brian Norden May 19, 2017 06:53AM

Tom Moungovan May 19, 2017 07:51AM

Re: Geared locomotive brake shoes...Not NG Attachments

J.B.Bane May 21, 2017 02:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login