Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: April 1 route and the C&TS Dispatch/Krazy San Juan Routes

April 09, 2017 04:18PM
Since I am not a member of the Friends I know you can't give me everything, but let me guess...
Sorry to expand/hijack the thread but the Rockies are losing badly so I gotta do something
1. In Arizona Railroads, of all places, I recall some surveyor maps over Weminuche Pass which was really crazy with at least one tunnel loup on the North/East side.
2. I've always been curious about Railroad Pass to the south of Wolf Creek...
3. I can't believe that Stoney Pass, the most direct route would be a choice as even by 4wd standards that baby is STEEP. The only other two that come to mind is Elwood Pass about midway between Cumbre & Wolf Creek but that has some might steep climbs on the west side. And then there is Piedra Pass but that is real steep on the Rio Grande side. And that's all I can think of (I've backpacked the Continental Pass between Cumbre Pass & San Luis Pass back of Creede several times back in the day).
I know that one alternative was way to the south around Bernanillo but that would add several hundred miles to the route. So my guess would be Elwood Pass...
Not surveyed but at least talked about was Otto Mears going over Engineer or Cinnamon Pass but he had enough problems getting to Animas Forks and it gets a LOT rougher further on. And then there was a map in The Rainbow Route (I think) of an electric line going into the Uncomprahgre Canyon which had insane grades (in excess of 6% I think) as well as a loop or two for the final descent into Ouray.
My all time favorite is a map that hung in the Durango Municipal Courtroom which I perused during dull moments between cases. Lines all over the place including a direct route from Telluride to Lake City (thats Black Bear/Imogene) and another Durango to Lake City and there really aren't any low spots, let anything you could call a pass in there. And then there was a line to "copper fields" which went straight from Durango to the other side of the Colorado which would involve not only going through the Needles & Maze districts of Canyonlands but also a huge bridge above Cataract Rapids on the Colorado. I suspect that this piece of fantasy was the work of somebody in NYC or Chicago who had NO idea what was there.

Husker Hank
Durango CO
Subject Author Posted

April 1 route and the C&TS Dispatch.

dougvv April 07, 2017 07:27AM

Re: April 1 route and the C&TS Dispatch/Krazy San Juan Routes

Husker Hank April 09, 2017 04:18PM

Re: Notso Nutso Alternative San Juan Routes . . . eye rolling smiley

Johnson Barr April 09, 2017 06:01PM

Re: April 1 route and the C&TS Dispatch.

James Parfrey April 09, 2017 11:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login