Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Please help translate Government to English

March 08, 2017 08:48PM
The guys doing the surveys were archeologists who's knowledge of railroads and logging consisted of little more than that it used rails. Of course they would not consult with the people who did know for fear they might take something. I was friends with some of these guys, but they have a totally different mind set. When we were laying out a new road we were sometimes told we had to avoid a certain site, but were not told where or what it was. What this is leading up to is that it is seldom possible to tell what an artifact is from their description. I know of a flat car that was described as a "machinery frame". Another "machinery frame" appears to be the log foundation of a skid house. At that site they totally overlooked the remains of what was obviously an oil house.

I don't remember finding any rail braces out in the woods, and doubt they used them much, but I did find a gauge rod once. Perhaps that is what they mean by a "rail clamp". As far as a wheel chock spiked to a tie, it could be a derail used where a logging spur connected to the mainline thought I doubt they would have left one of those out in the woods.

I heard once that they had an oil headlight locked away some where, but I could not get anyone to confirm that they even had it.
Subject Author Posted

Please help translate Government to English

terry fosback March 08, 2017 02:01AM

deleted - corrected post below

dougvv March 08, 2017 03:38AM

dougvv March 08, 2017 03:40AM

ND Holmes March 08, 2017 06:26AM

tomc March 08, 2017 09:00AM

J.B.Bane March 08, 2017 09:21AM

bcp March 08, 2017 09:27AM

karl1459 March 08, 2017 07:35PM

Jim Grigsby March 08, 2017 08:48PM

Re: Please help translate Government to English Attachments

bcp March 08, 2017 09:02PM

Dirk Ramsey March 09, 2017 08:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login