Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Highline 1972

January 20, 2017 05:26AM
Hi,

As I mentioned elsewhere, I rode behind 478 in 1972. The day started out very nice but rain started pouring down before Rockwood. 478 stalled in on the way up and had to double the hill.

I was 16 at the time and the others in the car Dad and I were in, started complaining about the stingy railroad not putting enough power on the front of the train. The obnoxious people started drinking and smoking (I had breathing issues even then). Dad and I ended up riding most of the way from the Highline to the depot on one of the open platforms, cold, wet, but not having breathing problems or eyes stinking or all the carrying on done by drunks. I do not have any problems with people drinking even though I do not. I have problems with those in the car that were being disrespectful of others. It did turn me away from ridding the Silverton until 1995 when the draw of Goose 5 and Eureka drew me back. Almost all those in 1995 were very respectful. Eureka lost (IIRC) a retaining pin on one of the drivers and had to slowly easy back to Durango. One fellow did not plan for the unexpected antique locos frequently have. He kept complaining about how slow the train was and telling everyone that they should put the train in nuetral and coast the rest of the way down. He had a plane flight out of the Durango airport he was fretting over.

Having built a live steam loco myself, I sort of understood the problem Dan was worrying over.

Moral is despite having a bad ride in 1972, I was very sad I missed ridding the Silverton between 1972 and 1995. Try to overlook bad experiences.

Also - IIRC might mean Iowa State Railroad and Coal? grinning smiley

Doug vV

1972_1b.jpg

1972_1d.jpg

1972_1e.jpg

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.
Subject Author Posted

Highline 1972 Attachments

dougvv January 20, 2017 05:26AM

Re: Highline 1995 Attachments

dougvv January 20, 2017 05:28AM

Re: Highline 1995 - last Attachments

dougvv January 20, 2017 05:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login