Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Westbound single engine from Atonito?

May 29, 2016 12:41PM
I have never seen anything that was short enough to run with one engine, but I am sure it happened. If you look at the so called Mad Dash of 1968(The first freight to Durango), I believe that one could have been handled by one engine, but since they needed both of those K-28's for the Tourist ops in Dgo, they doubleheaded. They did not run as a mid-train helper if you recall(See Wests shots). None of the other 1968 trips ran single engine Ala-Chama either.
Passenger trains were another matter. All the excursion trains I saw ran with single engines, and they were generally around 10-12 cars. I am sure they could have pulled more. In 1960-61 my dad and I chased and it was two engines, split at Antonito. We made it back into Osier that year. 494-495. Back then there was a bridge across the river, and we watched from across the valley about track level. I think it was a logging road as I recall seeing a log truck or two back there.
Back on subject, they may have run some work trains one engine, but most freights were two engines that I know of in the 50's and 60's. Ernie Robard would be a good source for this question. I see Jimmy has also weighed in and he has the sheets with the real answers.
Greg
[www.gregschollvideo.com]
Subject Author Posted

Westbound single engine from Antonito?

trainrider47 May 29, 2016 10:11AM

Jimmy Blouch May 29, 2016 10:26AM

trainrider47 May 29, 2016 11:38AM

Greg Scholl May 29, 2016 12:41PM

CharlieMcCandless May 29, 2016 01:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login