Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Future Cumbres & Toltec Engineer

April 23, 2003 09:05PM
Consider spending a lot of time in math and science classes particularly in the physical sciences (Chemistry, Physics). Air brakes are a study in gas laws. You also should consider any shop classes that are offered. Strongly consider an engineering degree or other mechanical related advance degree. There are a lot of people who consult on steam engines who have engineering degrees. This way you can work in the shop when the locomotives are not running. It also gives you something to fall back on. Do listen to more experienced people when starting. You also need to think before doing something or you may injure yourself or be the latest victum of the running joke. Safety is always first. If you can, get involved with a preservation project in your area, this can open your eyes on a few issues.
A Road Foreman of Engines told me that he liked hiring mechanical people to run trains. He did not expect them to fix the problem if something broke, just desribe it intellegently. Comunicating intelligently impresses people. I am still learning how to spell, maybe one day. But for now concentrate on your education, that will take you far.
Subject Author Posted

Future Cumbres & Toltec Engineer *LINK*

John Kelly (K-36 487) April 21, 2003 07:48AM

Jeff Johnson April 21, 2003 10:20PM

But don't forget........

Jeff Johnson April 21, 2003 10:32PM

Steffen April 23, 2003 06:30AM

I'm there too! *LINK*

k28drgw April 23, 2003 03:33PM

Re: I'm there too!

Jeff Johnson April 23, 2003 07:22PM

Robby Peartree April 23, 2003 09:05PM

Les Clark April 24, 2003 05:00PM

Thanks

John Kelly (K-36 487) April 24, 2003 05:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.