Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Central American Narrow Gauge

December 02, 2015 11:26AM avatar
Thanks James. I should have mentioned that your posts on Rob's website were a major source for my info. Henry Posner recently sent a copy of the new book "Railroaders without Borders" by H. Roger Grant that chronicles among RDC's many adventures the sad story of their Guatemala experience. It mentioned that by 2011 thieves had dismantled and stolen at least part of nearly half of the major bridges on the former IRCA Barrios line and about 85 percent of the rail.
Thanks for the update on the heritage of the 12 in El Salvador. What I find interesting is I never saw the 102 in Salvador which is why I assumed it must be the 112. I clearly was an ex-IRCA engine. Your comment about possible freight trains out of Sonsonnate is interesting. The railroad does/did service the modern port of Acajutla, so that might make sense. But my perusal of Google views in the past certainly showed no evidence of usage although the line does seem to be more or less intact, unlike the sad situation in Guatemala.

JBWX
Subject Author Posted

Central American Narrow Gauge

Steam Fan 492 November 26, 2015 10:03PM

Tom Moungovan November 27, 2015 06:25AM

John West November 28, 2015 10:33PM

jameswaite December 02, 2015 10:03AM

John West December 02, 2015 11:26AM

bcp December 02, 2015 11:43AM

Tom Moungovan December 03, 2015 09:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login